Shop Now: In App Setup
Shop Now allows your customers to exchange for any product in your catalog right inside the Loop portal. This in-app experience:
- Enables you to better retain revenue and even capture upsell value on returns - essentially giving you another potential revenue stream
- Uses existing Shopify product collections
- Supports the return of multiple items & the purchase of multiple replacement products
- Can implement a Shop Now bonus to incentivize customers to keep their revenue with you
In this article we will cover:
- Connecting Stripe to capture upsell revenue
- Configuring Shop Now using tiered menu items
- Activating Shop Now for customers and setting a Shop Now Bonus
- Disconnecting Stripe
- The customer experience
Connecting Stripe for Upsell Revenue
Loop uses Stripe to capture upsell revenue when a customer exchanges their return item for a higher priced item. Shopify’s built in payments system requires an exchange order to be created immediately once the customer submits a return request. Stripe allows Loop to be more flexible, retaining the exchange order until the merchant processes the return. More info on Stripe and why we use it can be found here.
To connect Stripe:
- Navigate to Shop Now on the left side of your admin screen.
- Click the Connect Stripe button under Shop Now.
- If you have an existing Stripe account, log in, and your account will connect to Loop.
- If you don't have a Stripe account, fill out the form on this page to activate an account and link it to Loop.
- Note: Once you have successfully connected Stripe, the button that previously read Connect Stripe will now read Disconnect Stripe.
Configuring Shop Now Collections
Shop Now relies on collections you have created in Shopify. Follow these steps to set up Shop Now for your customers:
- Navigate to Shop Now from your Loop admin menu, and click "Import Collections" to bring collections in from your Shopify.
- Note: It may take some time to import all of your collections. Feel free to refresh after 10-15 seconds and begin working.
- Note: Loop will import your collections as is, including any items that may be out of stock or unavailable on your Shopify storefront. Conditions can be set on collections to mitigate this. If you need assistance configuring collections for Loop, contact us at email@example.com.
- Best practice: We generally recommend setting up your Shop Now navigation to closely resemble your Shopify store.
- Loop allows for top-level navigation items, and nested second-level items. A top-level item without second-level items must have a collection associated with it.
- A top-level item with second-level items shouldn’t have a collection linked to it - when a customer clicks on it in Shop Now, they will automatically be dropped into the collection associated with the first second-level item beneath the top-level item.
- We recommend starting all second-level item lists with a “Shop All” style collection that encompasses all other second-level items under that top-level link, if possible.
- Once your collections are imported, select the "Add menu item" button to set up a top-level navigation item to represent one of your Shopify collections.
- Note: the Name field is what your customers see when exchanging from Shop Now. Customers will never see the collection name.
- Once you’ve determined your top-level navigation, you may add nested second level navigation.
- Select the arrow to the left of your menu item and click the "Add menu item" link that appears.
- From here, you will repeat the same process as you did in step 3.
- Once your collections are in place, Save changes.
Activating Shop Now and Setting a Bonus
Once Shop Now is activated for your Loop instance, it will show up in the toolbar of your Loop admin to begin configuring. This does not mean that customers are able to use it. This allows merchants to take the time they need to configure the feature before any customers see it.
Activating Shop Now will happen at the return policy level, giving merchants flexibility and control over which customers will be given the option.
Once Shop Now is fully configured, go to Settings > Return Policies, and Edit on the return policy you’d like to activate Shop Now for. Scroll down and find Shop Now, flip the switch, and click Save.
The Return Window and Processing Event for the Exchange outcome will carry over to the Shop Now outcome, since Loop considers it a product exchange.
You can also include a Shop Now Bonus here. This will incentivize customers to use the Shop Now option by giving them extra credit to work with.
Note: if the customer doesn’t purchase a product of a higher value, the Shop Now Bonus will have no impact on the transaction and will fall away. It is only available at the time of return in the Loop portal.
Updating Shop Now Collections
Any changes made to existing Shopify collections will update in Loop automatically. Any new collections created after the initial import will need to be reimported using the Import Collections button on the Shop Now screen. These can then be added to the Shop now experience by following the steps above in the Configuring Shop Now Collections section.
To disconnect Stripe, click the Disconnect Stripe button under Shop Now. If there is an issue or it looks like Stripe is not disconnecting, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Customer Experience and Bonus Credit
Once Shop Now is activated, the customer will reach Shop Now in one of two ways:
- While attempting an exchange for size/color, they will see a link that reads “Don’t see the product you want? Shop with return credit” at the bottom of the exchange modal.
- If the customer attempts a refund, they will see the option to shop your store instantly with their return value.
- This link can include a bonus credit if the user chooses to Shop Now instead of requesting store credit or a cash refund. Learn more in the Activating Shop Now and Setting a Bonus section of this guide.
Once they are in the portal, they will be able to add any product variants available in the collections you provided into their cart.
If their items add up to more than the value of what they originally purchased plus any Shop Now bonus, they will be able to purchase the additional items through Stripe at the conclusion of the return flow.
If a customer spends less than they did originally, what happens to the remaining funds?
If a customer spends less than they did on their original order, the Shop Now bonus is removed from the order and any remaining funds are refunded to them as Store Credit.
Does the entire value of the exchange order through Shop Now come through Stripe?
No. Loop will only use Stripe to capture the upsell value. For example, if a customer exchanges an $80 product for a $100 product on Shop Now, only the $20 of upsell value will come through Stripe.
When does the Stripe charge process if a customer is paying more money?
The charge comes through on Stripe the moment the return is submitted by the customer. If the return expires or is canceled, the money is refunded to the customer at the time of expiration or cancelation.
Are we giving everyone a free $10 (or whatever your Shop Now bonus may be) when we turn on the bonus?
No. Keep in mind this is extra credit for the customer to work with on top of their return value - it is in no way a payment to the customer. An example:
- Customer buys, then returns an $80 product.
- The merchant offers a $10 Shop Now bonus.
- If the customer purchases a $100 product through Shop Now, they will pay $90 and the merchant makes $10 of upsell through Stripe.
- If the customer exchanges the product for another item of the value or less, the bonus will not go into effect and will fall away.
Why are my different colored variants all showing the same image in Shop Now?
You will want to ensure the different colored variants have pictures associated with them in Shopify. Shop Now will display the image associated with each variant in Shopify.
Why can't I import my collections?
Your collections may be greying out when you search for them. There are a few possible reasons for this.
- If you type in the name of a collection that doesn't exist, Loop will grey out the collections box as a safeguard. This is to prevent having broken links in the Shop Now experience.
- If the collection does exist, make sure it is available on the Online Store channel in Shopify. Loop will not import collections that are unavailable. Making the collection available without adding it to a menu in your theme will still keep it hidden from your customers.
If you have any other questions about Shop Now, please contact us at email@example.com.