EasyPost Shipping Labels
Loop integrates with EasyPost, a third-party service, to provide your customers with automatically generated shipping labels. Once you provide EasyPost with a list of carriers you’d like to use, Loop shops available carriers and service types to provide you the lowest possible shipping cost.
In this article:
- Add Carriers
- Loop Admin Setup
To automatically generate return shipping labels for your customers, follow these steps:
- Sign up for an EasyPost account, and enter your contact information to get started
- Select your email address in the upper left-hand corner
- Select Billing
- Set up a Bank Account with EasyPost
- It is recommended that you set up a backup payment method, so they can fund your account even while waiting for a bank account transfer to complete
- Bank account authorization will take 3-5 business days to complete
- Add a recharge amount and threshold so EasyPost can reload automatically when funds drop below the threshold
- By default the recharge amount is set $100 and the recharge threshold is set to $0. Automatic recharges can sometimes take a few days to go through, so we recommend you set your recharge threshold to an amount high enough to leave additional funds in the account while the recharge is pending
- This will ensure shipments don't get held up for insufficient funds
EasyPost's Carriers - Please Note: only merchants who use the USPS and/or DHL Express account(s) provided by EasyPost will be billed for labels via EasyPost out of the uploaded funds. If you are not using one of EasyPost's carrier accounts, you will be billed directly from your own carrier as normal. EasyPost's DHL Express carrier does not support domestic US shipments, it only supports international shipments with the from_address in the US.
Best Practice: Merchants commonly load their account and set a reload amount to match their average 1-month return shipping cost. The reload amount can be adjusted later as needed.
If you used the link above to sign up for EasyPost, then you are automatically signed up for a USPS account using Loop rates. If you had an EasyPost account setup already, then you will automatically be using EasyPost's USPS account, no additional setup needed.
As of December 2022, USPS updated & pushed out a new rate card to all merchants that are live with these rates. The updated rate card includes:
- Slightly lower rates for packages under 6lbs and in zones 1-4
- Our USPS negotiated rates now save merchants 7-10% more than standard USPS rates (used to be 2-10%)
- These USPS negotiated rates apply to Priority mail service type only.
If you're using carriers other than USPS:
- From your EasyPost account, select your email address in the upper left-hand corner
- Select Carrier Accounts to connect your preferred carriers
- Once your carrier accounts are in place, be sure to activate them in Settings > Shipping in the Loop admin after connecting EasyPost
- Once your additional carriers are added to your EasyPost account and the carrier has been configured with Loop, EasyPost will purchase labels on your behalf using your negotiated rates
Loop Admin Setup
- In your EasyPost account, select your email address in the upper left-hand corner
- Select API Keys
- Copy the Production API Key
- Navigate to your Loop admin and go to Settings > Shipping
- Select Connect Shipping Service and click the Connect button next to EasyPost
- Paste your EasyPost Production API Key into the EasyPost API Key field on the page and click Connect
- If you added any carriers in addition to USPS to your EasyPost account, they'll be automatically imported for you to enable in your Shipping tab. You can also select specific service types here if needed.
Note: If you have no service type preference for returns, we recommend not selecting any. If you do not select a specific service type, Loop will rate shop between all available service types for that carrier, and will result in cheaper return labels for you.
- Next, navigate to your Return Policy tab to enable your carriers. You can enable carrier accounts to be applied globally across Return Policies or you can associate a specific carrier account to a Return Policy. Please review the Enable Carrier Accounts by Return Policy for the setup steps for these options.
What carriers can Loop generate labels for?
- USPS Scan Based Returns
- USPS Returns
- UPS (UPS WorldShip or CampusShip accounts are not supported)
- UPS EU
- FedEx Smart Post
- DHL Global Mail
- DHL eCommerce
- DHL Express
- AustraliaPost - eParcel only
- Royal Mail OBA - Tracked Returns 48
- Interlink Express
- Passport Shipping (reach out to your Merchant Success Manager to learn more).
- If you do not see your carrier account on this list, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or your Merchant Success Manager to confirm if your carrier is supported.
What happens if a shipping label does not generate for a customer? Temporary carrier issues account for 90% of label failures. In these cases, Loop will display a message to the customer letting them know that they will receive an email when the label successfully generates. Then, Loop will retry every 15 minutes for 24 hours until a label is generated. For the other 10% of label failures, the customer will see a message stating that the label has failed. Recommended troubleshooting is to check for missing phone number, address discrepancies or special characters in the name or email. In both cases, the return will also have a No label Shipping Status in the Returns section of the Loop Admin where the return can be opened and the label can be manually re-attempted by clicking the Email Shipping Label button under Shipping information.
What happens to expired return labels? If a return expires without label movement, Loop will request a refund on your behalf from EasyPost. If you’d like to cancel a label manually for any reason, you can do so under Shipments in your EasyPost account.
What happens when packages are overweight? It is up to the discretion of the carrier, see details below:
USPS will automatically bill your EasyPost for the difference between what was originally paid and the actual cost of the label.
Whenever there are adjustments from USPS, EasyPost will automatically send a webhook event for each shipment to notify users that adjustments have been made on your account. You can then generate a shipment_invoice report via API which will contain all the adjustments during the timeframe specified.
Regarding other carriers, customers may have to pay the difference at drop-off. If you would like to be billed for the difference instead, we recommend contacting the carrier directly to evaluate options.
If you have any questions about how Loop calculates package weight, we recommend reviewing the Weight section of the General Return Policy Settings article.
Can additional information be added to barcodes? Yes, depending on what carrier you use and what information you would like to add.
- FedEx (FedEx Smartpost not supported)
- Order number
- Return ID
If there is a carrier or variable not listed that you are interested in, please reach out to email@example.com and we will let you know if we are able to support it.
Can I use a free general domain email address (ex: gmail, yahoo, hotmail) to set up my EasyPost account? Yes, although EasyPost will require that you answer a few brief anti-fraud questions when doing so. Please answer the following questions and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org to activate your account.
- What city and zip code will you be mostly shipping from?
- What kind of product are you generally shipping?
- About how many packages per month do you intend to ship through EasyPost?
- Can you provide us with the website and phone number for your business?
When do I get charged for labels?
When using EasyPost's default carrier accounts (i.e., USPS and DHL Express), labels will bill on generation.
When you use your own carrier accounts with your own rates (i.e., FedEx, UPS, CanadaPost, etc.) the labels will bill on scan.
Are there any additional steps for setting up FedEx Smartpost? Yes, if you are setting up FedEx Smartpost, EasyPost will have to manually enable returns on the backend of your account. To do this, please contact email@example.com and request this action.
Once this step is complete, notify your Onboarding Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org, as some additional technical steps may be required.
How do I test processing events with labels?
- Use the "Test API Key" from your EasyPost account (Account > API Keys > Test API Key)
- In Loop, go to Settings > General and paste the Test API Key into the EasyPost Key field
- Go through the returns portal and submit a return for a test order
- EP will by default send webhooks at random intervals after label creation
- EasyPost begins rolling through the statuses 1 minute after label creation and about 15-20 minutes after creation, the label is marked as delivered
Does Loop support UPS Surepost label service? Unfortunately, at this time UPS Surepost does not support return labels.
Can I use the same EasyPost account for multiple Loop instances? Yes, and unless there is a specific reason for keeping them separate, we recommend using the same one.
Does EasyPost offer shipping insurance? To learn more about EasyPost's insurance program, you can reference this article or contact EasyPost directly at email@example.com.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.