Managing returns in Loop admin
When an order from the Returns view is selected, a detailed informational page opens up to show what a customer would like to return, exchange, or buy with credit – along with any shipping and processing information.
In this article, you will learn how to take one of the following actions in the individual return detail view:
View an open-state return
- Navigate to Loop admin > Returns
- Enter the Open tab.
- Select the return you would like to view more information about.
Process an open-state return
- Select the open-state return that you would like to process from the Open tab.
- Click Process Return in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the Items Returned section, switch the Restock toggle on in order to restock items while processing a return
- There is a restock toggle on the top right of the "Items Returned" section, as well as toggles for every line item. If any items are toggled ON when you process a return, they will be “restocked”. If any items are toggled OFF they will only be marked “returned”
- Note: If this option does not appear in your return detail page, you do not have the Inventory Restock setting enabled in Loop. This can be enabled in your Return Policy Settings.
View an open-state return
If an Open return has an error in processing, it generally falls into one of two categories – Out of stock or Insufficient funds.
Out of stock items
These orders cannot be processed due to a requested item being out of stock in Shopify. The return detail will show an ⚠︎ Out of Stock tag and Return History Note:
Loop sends an Out Of Stock email to the customer, encouraging them to reach out to you for a different product. Visit this article for more information on how to customize the content of this email.
Returns will not be able to process when the amount of money left on the Shopify order does not match the amount Loop is attempting to refund. The return detail will show a modal indicating a refund error when manually processed, an ⚠︎ Insufficient Funds tag, and a Return History Note.
The return request will have to be manually closed in Loop and refunded via the original Shopify order.
Cancel a return
- Select the return that you would like to cancel from the Returns view.
- Click Cancel Return in the upper left-hand corner.
- When cancelling a return, you will be prompted to confirm within a pop-up modal.
- Once a return has been cancelled, the return detail will enter a limited view containing a red cancelled return banner, return details and customer information. Specific product information associated with the order will no longer appear.
Note: If a customer changes their mind after submitting a return, you may cancel the return in Loop admin. The customer will have the ability to resubmit a return or exchange until the order’s designated return window closes.
Close a return
- Select the return that you would like to close from the Returns view:
- Click Close Return in the upper left-hand corner.
- When closing a return, you will be prompted to confirm within a pop-up modal.
- Once a return has been closed, the return detail will no longer show the option to Cancel, Close and Process Return or Email Shipping Labels.
Note: Closing a return marks a return as processed without taking action in Shopify. Once a return has been closed in Loop admin, it will not be able to be recovered to a processable state. The customer will not be able to resubmit a return for the items selected.
Mark returned and restocked
On a closed-state return, when returns have been triggered by an automatic processing event (read more here), the line item interactions will remain the same as with an open return, the only difference being:
- If the the main toggle and/or one toggle is set to ON (restock), the button will say Mark Returned / Restock
- If the the main toggle and all line item toggles are set to OFF (marked return), the button will say Mark Returned
Edit customer and/or shipping information
You may edit a customer’s first name, last name, email, and shipping address from the return detail.
- Select Edit next to Customer Info
- You may edit a customer’s first name, last name and/or email address.
- Select Edit next to Shipping Address
- You may edit a customer’s shipping address and/or phone number.
- Save changes.
Resend a shipping label
- Navigate to the individual return that needs a new shipping label.
- Under the Shipping Address section of the return detail, select the Resend Shipping Label button.
- The Label link beneath this button allows you to view the shipping label that will be sent to the customer, along with how many times it has been sent to the customer.
- Create Label will appear in lieu of Resend Shipping Label if a label has not yet been sent to the customer for this return.
What information is contained in each section of the return detail?
- Order number - a link to the original order in Shopify
- Date - the date a return request was initiated
- Items Returned - the items within the order that the customer is attempting to return
- Once a return has been cancelled or closed, this information will no longer appear
- Return Details - what the customer has requested in exchange for their return
- Notes - an area for your team to write comments about orders
- Return History - A timestamped list of when a manual or automatic processing event has been applied to a return, including a return being created by a customer. The following actions may be listed:
- Return created by customer
- Return has been cancelled
- Return has been (forced) closed
- Return has been processed
- Return has been marked returned
- Return has been marked restocked
- Item is out of stock
- Item has insufficient funds
- Stripe has been refunded
- Shipping event updates (i.e. in-transit, delivered)
- Deleted product / variant was returned
- Customer Info - a customer’s name, email, and / or phone number.
- Shipping Address - where a return is being sent.
- Shipment Information - shows tracking number, shipping carrier, shipping rate, shipment status, last updated
- Stripe - If Shop Now is enabled and used by a customer to capture upsell for new items while returning another item, the amount paid will show.
- A refund button will also show below, click here for a detailed look on refunding stripe purchases.
Will cancelling a return in Loop admin also refund the shipping label?
Yes. When a return is cancelled, Loop queues a refund of the shipping label.