Needs Review + Return Processing Errors
If a return hits an error when processing, it will drop into the Needs Review tab within the Loop admin and will require your attention.
In this article you will learn about:
- Needs Review State
- Out of Stock Items
- Insufficient Funds
Needs Review State
Needs Review errors generally fall into one of two categories – out of stock or insufficient funds. International Lite returns will also appear in this section, unless Bypass Review is enabled on the return policy. To access returns that have encountered an error, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Loop admin
- Select Returns
- Select Needs review
- View the return order to understand what action is needed
Out of Stock Items
When a customer requests an exchange, Loop does not immediately notify Shopify. Instead, Loop will process the outcome for the customer based on your processing event. This delay between the customer requesting their exchange and the exchange order being created occasionally leads to an "Out of Stock" error.
Customer + Loop Admin Impact
When an exchange item goes out of stock and the return processing event is triggered:
- All other items/outcomes are provided to the customer
- The return will move into the Needs Review tab on the Returns Dashboard, and the return detail will show an ⚠︎ Out of Stock tag and Return History Note
- If Out-of-Stock exchanges are automated, the new outcome will process and the customer will receive an Out of Stock: Refunded Notification from Loop
If the product is coming back into stock soon:
- Notify the customer of the restock date
- When the Shopify inventory is replenished, use the Process Items button in the Return Details page to re-trigger the creation of the Exchange order
Note: Loop will only Process previously Out of Stock items, if other outcomes have already been provided, you are not at risk of them being issued again.
If that product is not coming back into stock, or if the customer does not want to wait:
- Work with the customer to determine an acceptable new outcome (Refund or Gift Card for the value of the original return product)
- Manually process the exchange in the Return Details
Note: Visit Automate Out-of-Stock Exchanges for more detail
Returns will not be able to process when the amount of money left on the Shopify order does not match the amount Loop is attempting to refund, which is defined as Insufficient Funds.
This will most often occur when:
- The merchant is using a third party billing system that Loop can’t leverage to directly issue refunds
- A partial refund has been issued through Shopify prior to processing the return in Loop. This will create an imbalance in what Loop is trying to refund, and how much value is left on the original order.
Note: There are other reasons why this error may emerge. If you don't suspect that either of the above are the case, please reach out to email@example.com.
Customer + Loop Admin Impact
- The return will move into the Needs Review tab in the admin, and the return detail will show an ⚠︎ Insufficient Funds tag and a Return History Note.
- No notification will be sent to the customer, the return will remain open until an admin intervenes
Use the Close button in the Return Details page to treat the return as complete in Loop and manually issue the outcome needed in Shopify.
Outside of processing issues, will any other returns be sent to Needs Review? Yes, by default any returns tied to secondary Return Policies, which includes International Lite returns, will appear under Needs Review. You can bypass this by activating the Bypass Review switch within that policy.